Well done search engine marketing, often called SEO for brief, is designed to allow websites to appear in search results when we search for products and services rather than simply company names. The thought is that people trying to find things online can find a business website without any prior knowledge of the business or its name. You can find all manner of tricks and techniques which fall under SEO, however the good sustainable methods (also sometimes called “white hat SEO”) are based around the idea of making your site easier for search engine to read and understand, meaning they rank you higher in searches for appropriately relevant terms.
It is not uncommon to decide to outsource SEO to external marketing agencies and other companies, but you can find far too many dodgy types available who like to take companies seeking SEO – especially local and small business owners – for a very costly ride. How then would you actually go about locating a good, honest and legitimate search engine marketer?
It is actually incredibly easy to find a decent Seo company online. Go to a google search like Google or Bing and design in “SEO agency.” Ignoring the paid ads towards the top, whichever firm has landed at the top of the search results are what you want – they must be decent at SEO or their very own website wouldn’t be excessive in the natural listings!
To narrow things down somewhat, you could try extending your quest. Say you live in Essex and want a local agency – just type “SEO agency Essex.” Or maybe your website is specialised so you want particular benefit it you can add your industry or site type – “SEO tourism” or “SEO eCommerce” for instance. This can be a great way to find niche SEO agencies who have specialist expertise in your field.
Sometimes SEO agencies (or at best people claiming being SEO agencies) try and solicit companies by sending them emails or submitting contact forms with various enticements and offers. However if the thing is that something like this can be found in then it is best to ignore it – if a company which supposedly specialises in search engine optimisation is reduced to spamming inboxes to acquire business rather than, say, doing SEO so their unique website ranks highly and people can find them anyway, chances are they aren’t very good. Does of SEO services advertised on paid ads near the top of search engines or on banner ads on other websites. If their search engine marketing is any good, what makes them having to pay for their placements?
Another thing to bear in mind is to steer well free from any SEO agency that promises you “top position for x keywords” or something like that. Nearly all modern search engines used personalised searching, and therefore everyone sees websites in slightly different ranking positions according to their personal search history. Absolute rankings certainly are a thing of the past, any anyone claiming to offer this kind of service is lying through their teeth. Modern SEO make use of sustainable “white hat” techniques in to bring useful traffic to your website, not use exploits and dodgy tricks, which will constantly get them slapped by internet search engine updates like Google’s infamous Panda and Penguin algorithm changes.
When you have found an SEO company that looks mostly all right you’ll need to ask them some questions prior to deciding to leap into their services. And also the usual checks like existing client list and testimonials, it’s a good idea to speak to someone directly on the phone or in person. Here are several good questions to ask them.
– Who does their search marketing work? Is it handled by in-house staff? Do they do any outsourcing, especially to foreign companies? Plenty of agencies outsource to cheap link builders in Asia who usually produce very low quality work that will have a negative affect websites in the medium to long-term.
– How often do they report, and just what format do these reports take? Any professional Seo company should be providing regular updates to everyone its clients, along with written reports detailing actions taken and progress made.
– What type of skills and qualifications are they using? Take a look at their existing client lists for almost any recognisable big names, to see if they have anyone who is Analytics qualified. Some companies use quality standards like ISO 9001 which is an excellent sign.
– What else do they do? A lot of these organizations are primarily website designers who’re resellers for outsourced SEO services to boost their profits. It is best to look for an online marketing specialist to ensure you get a good quality service.
With no the money to hire a professional SEO agency there are other options available. Some companies will let you pay for a one off website review to make recommendations on how to boost your site from a search marketing perspective, or you could research current techniques and concepts to do SEO yourself.
Many online marketing methods are in reality startlingly simple. Enhance your domain authority by getting other relevant sites to link back to yours. Get a backlinks boost as well as general marketing benefit by using social media like Facebook. Maintain website full of regularly updated and quality content to encourage people to link to you as well as grow the site’s visibility and importance. Utilize a good, solid SEO plugin on your content management system, and make sure your website’s code is error free.
Remember you’re going to get a natural boost from modern search engines like yahoo if your website is
– Properly designed, easy to use and nice to consider
– Full of good, up to date and useful content suitable for real people, not search results robots
– Free of errors, fast loading and without spammy ads or buggy code
Happy online marketing, everyone!